Nathan Del Turco | Young Adults Pastor | Student Worship Pastor
Did you know that one of the most expensive apps in the App-Store, is an app to keep track of flag football leagues? Yeah…
Anyways! The fact is, Apple has done an incredible job creating their products. iPods, iPads, iPhones, iMacs… they’re all winners. Sorry PC fans, you lose. #SorryNotSorry
Products like iPads are created with meticulous intentionality. The amount of time and energy that goes into making a product like that is crazy. Track with me here… If an iPad was purchased, but was never turned on would it make it any less of an iPad? Would it’s potential be lessened? Or would it cease to be an iPad altogether?
Of course the answer to all of these is, no.
You and I are similar to an iPad.
In Psalm 139:13-16, David the psalmist talks about the amount of detail that went in to making us. We were created with an immense amount of intentionality. We were also created with all the potential in the world!
You see, when God created us, He left His fingerprint. Kind of like a potter or artist would leave their signature on a piece of art. I think that fingerprint, is God-Potential.
The fact is, is that we have everything we need to be successful in this life. We have God-Potential. Meaning, we have a wide-open life just waiting to be explored, new ground to be taken, and God given opportunities waiting to be lived out.
Paul says it this way in Romans 5:1-5 in the MSG translation.
1-2By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us—set us right with him, make us fit for him—we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that’s not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide-open spaces of God’s grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.
3-5There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!
So the question is, how do we step into our “God-Potential?”.
I believe, based on this scripture we get a glimpse of 6 ways to step into what God had always intended for us to own and understand.
- Understand that we have it “All together in Jesus”.
- Put quite simply, Jesus leveled the playing field when He went to the cross for our sins. We don’t have to “get our life together” in order to know Jesus. So good!
- Understand that God is always ahead of us. (Deut. 31:8)
- He’s already gone ahead of us into anything we face!
- Remember that His victory is ours!
- Jesus has already won the battle of sin and death! Which, for you and me means no longer living as slaves to sin, shame, or guilt. The battle is won!
- Develop a “Passionate Patience”.
- Key word here is “develop”. As we grow as believers, we should develop more patience. This is turn, grows into character and eventually to hope.
- Live with “Alert Expectancy”!
- Hope, trust, and believe that God is always at work. Even when we don’t see it. Get this anticipation into your spirit.
- Allow it to overflow!
- Allow your understanding of God’s Grace, Provision, Victory, Patience, and Love to lead your decisions, language, and lives!
Now together, let’s continue to step into what God had always intended for us. A wide open life full of praising Him, loving others, and taking new ground. Let’s step into our God-Potential.