Cal Jernigan – Senior Pastor
What are you most afraid of in your life right now?
This was one of a series of questions Jamie Winship posed to a large group of us in Mesa last night. We invited Jamie to come and lead us in a discussion on each of our campuses on the issue of sharing our faith. Months ago we asked Jamie to preach all of our weekend services and he rocked the house. There are few people who have a more defined history of stepping up and stepping into their fears than Jamie.
Here are a few of the other questions he asked:
- What kingdom adventure is your fear keeping you from?
- If Jesus really was your King, what would you be doing that you are not now doing?
- What clear kingdom assignment are you ducking out of because you are too frightened?
- Why have you let fear play such a huge part of your “faith?”
Here’s the simple truth: Fear debilitates us. It deadens our spirit and squelches our courage. It shrinks us into a lesser being that we were created to be. Wherever fear prevails, faith falters.
This is all very interesting since the most often repeated command in the Bible is to “fear not!” Three hundred and sixty five times God exhorts us to not be afraid…once for every day of the year.
God has empowered us to accomplish all that he has asked of us. His greatest desire for us is that we overcome that which frightens us. Christ has a habit of causing you to face what you are most fearful of. You see, Jesus steps into our fears and walks with us.
I want to strongly encourage you to make it out to one of the remaining seminars that we are holding so that you too can hear the challenge Jamie is laying out. If you listen you might find yourself tapping into strength you didn’t know you had.
Here’s where and when you can still catch what he has to say:
- Glendale—October 16th 6:30-8:30 pm.
- Queen Creek—October 17th 9:00-11:00 a.m. (at the Canyon State Chapel)
- Ahwatukee—October 17th 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Gilbert—October 18th 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Go ahead—pick one and show up. What have you to fear?