The Peace Jesus Brings
Alex Enabnit – Research Editor
Continuing on our series about peace, today we looked at storms of Biblical proportions.
Reading from Mark 4, we see Jesus and his disciples on a boat in the middle of a squall in the Sea of Galilee. While the disciples are frantically trying to stay afloat, Jesus is in the back, completely asleep! The disciples panic and wake up Jesus, who miraculously calms the storm just by speaking to it. Jesus asks the disciples why they were so afraid – where was their faith?
What happened on the boat for the disciples was a perfect storm of three things; three things that if left unchecked in our lives, become the antithesis of peace.
- Fear. Fear is the greatest enemy of peace!
- Stress. Stress is just an expression of anxiety.
- Pride. At some point, we need to set aside our pride and admit we have a problem.
Are these three creating the perfect storm in your life? In the message, Cal proposed three remedies to experience the peace that Jesus brings:
- Don’t panic in a storm. God cares about us in the midst of our troubles, and He wants what’s best for us.
- Ask for help. God wants to hear from us in the midst of the storm, and there’s no shame in asking Him for help.
- Find comfort in God’s presence. Jesus is in the boat! No matter what, He’s always there for us.
So, what are you so afraid of? What are you stressed over? What is it that you still need to hand over to Jesus?
Verses from the sermon:
Mark 4:35-41; Psalm 89:8-9; John 14:27; John 16:33; 1 Peter 5:7; Philippians 4:6-7; Psalm 46:10-11; Proverbs 3:24-26
You Move – Central Music
Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) – Hillsong Music
Holy Spirit – Jesus Culture
Oceans – Hillsong Music